Monday, April 29, 2013

AFC North Draft Grades

Baltimore Ravens:

Rd. 1: Matt Elam: Elam was my 2nd highest rated safety behind Vaccaro. My only real knock on Elam is he is only 5'10, while he possesses average size being 208. In a division that now has the Bengals with Gresham and Eifert, Steelers with Heath Miller and the Browns with Jordan Cameron, he may have a tough time matching up. I think combining him with Michael Huff will help his growth and he will be a starter for a long time.

Rd. 2: Arthur Brown: I love this kids versatility and I think the Ravens will too. He has the ability to play outside backer or inside backer in a 4-3 or inside linebacker in a 3-4. He has excellent athleticism and will give this Ravens team some new added dimensions to its defense.

Rd. 3: Brandon Williams: For me the Ravens are 3-3 with their first 3 picks. Brandon Williams provides depth and competition for Terrence Cody immediately. I think if Williams went to a big school he would have been in discussion as one of the top defensive tackles in this draft.

Rd. 4: John Simon: I am always weary of Ohio St. defensive linemen. Simon has talent but tends to take plays off and his work ethic has question marks. If the Ravens can develop him and help him mature he'll push for time as a rotational player.

Rd. 4: Kyle Juszcyzk: He is a hard-nosed smart player, just what the Ravens love. While I think 4th round is a bit of a reach for a FB, but I can understand the pick. He provides versatility in their backfield.

Rd. 5: Ricky Wagner: This is a great value pick, last season he might have been a top 10 offensive lineman taken. His play dipped a bit this year and that is the reason for his drop off. If the Ravens can get him to his 2011 form they have a steal.

Rd. 6: Kapron Lewis-Moore: He was a captain and leader for Notre Dame's defense along with Manti Te'o. He was injured in the bowl game against Alabama and may sit the season on injured reserved but he'll become a solid starter.

Rd. 6: Ryan Jensen: To be honest I did not know a lot about this guy before the draft but from what I've read there are a lot of positives and could grow into a starter.

Rd. 7: Aaron Mellette: Another kid that if he went to a big school would have been a much higher draft pick. He was the best receiver in FCS.

Rd. 7: Marc Anthony: Mainly a depth pick and will have to complete for a spot on the roster.

Overall Grade: A

Cincinatti Bengals:

Rd. 1: Tyler Eifert: I had Eifert as my 2nd best skilled position player in this draft. If you were looking for a safe pick with the best offensive ball skills in this draft he was the best. Andy Dalton is one happy quarterback and AJ Green knows he'll see less double teams.

Rd. 2: Giovanni Bernard: While he was not the number 1 running back on my board I think he makes sense here. Cincinnati still has the law firm and Bernard will be a nice complementary back.

Rd. 2: Margus Hunt: Some people had him rated as a 1st/2nd rounder, I think because of his rawness late second made more sense. I like this pick for the Bengals and I think he'll be more of an impact player in year 2 or 3.

Rd. 3: Shawn Williams: Another good value pick, I think there were better safeties on the board here but he will be an immediate special teamer and create competition and depth at safety.

Rd. 4: Sean Porter: Porter is a bit small for a linebacker at 229 pounds. He does have talent though if he can get a bit bigger than in time I can see him making an impact right now he is a sub package type player only.

Rd. 5: Tanner Hawkinson: This is one of those picks that I think a team falls in love with a certain type of player. Hawkinson I saw as a 7th rounder or undrafted free agent.

Rd. 6: Rex Burkhead: This is a depth pick and a potential future replacement for when Ben Jarvis-Green-Ellis leaves.

Rd. 6: Cobi Hamilton: Great value, I think he would have been a much higher pick if Wilson was healthy. He'll compete for a spot as the number 4 wide receiver.

Rd. 7: T.J. Johnson: If this was a center they liked then a 7th round pick is an good spot but I had higher rated centers like Braxton Cave.

Overall Grade: B+

Cleveland Browns:

Rd. 1: Barkevious Mingo: Jabaal Shepard and newly acquired Paul Kruger are their starting outside linebackers and I'm not sure Mingo beats either of them for a starting spot. This pick surprised me and I think they could have looked elsewhere or trade back with a team that may have wanted Austin, Milliner or Cooper.

Rd. 3: Leon McFadden: I think this is a good value pick. I heard he may go in the second so a third round pick is good value but I don't think he is the starter they were hoping for along side Haden.

Rd. 6: Jamoris Slaughter: He was hurt this past season and in think would have been a mid round selection. The Browns will have to see how he recovers but he'll have a chance to become their starter at free safety.

Rd. 7: Armonty Bryant: Very raw but has potential could be a steal as a 7th rounder.

Rd. 7:  Garrett Gilkey: Depth pick will be a backup if he makes roster.

Overall Grade: D+

Pittsburgh Steelers:

Rd. 1: Jarvis Jones: When I looked at the incoming rookies I couldn't think of a better fit than Jones and the Steelers. When he slipped to the Steelers pick there was no way they would pass on him.

Rd. 2: Le'Veon Bell: This is another case of a team having an,ayer they fell in love with. I had Bell at a 3rd round grade. When teams stacked the box he really became non existent at times. He has potential and if he learns to hit the hole and not dance he could be the Steelers starter.

Rd. 3: Markus Wheaton: His player comparison is Antonio Brown. No wonder why the Steelers loved this kind so much. He may be the 2nd quickest player in this draft next to Austin. He'll play the slot and be very effective.

Rd. 4: Shamarko Thomas: Absolute steal and another great fit. His size was the reason he slipped but his talent is second round worthy.

Rd. 4: Landry Jones: Jones couldn't have asked for a better place to land in my opinion. He'all play and learn behind Big Ben who has his durability issues.

Rd. 5: Terry Hawthorne: Big, 6'0 , corner who plays physical. Another good fit at a need position.

Rd. 6:  Justin Brown: A big receiver and teammate of Jones. Having Jones there might help in his development.

Rd. 6: Vince Williams: He is a depth pick but has potential at inside linebacker. He is shorter than you'd like at the position but is a good run stopper but must improve in coverage.

Rd. 7:  Nick Williams: This is a depth pick for the DE position in their 3-4 scheme possesses excellent size.

Overall Grade: A-






No comments:

Post a Comment