Monday, September 1, 2014

Surprise in the Top 5: Fantasy QBs

Here is my current ranking of the Quarterbacks for this years season. I will talk about my potential Busts, Breakout and Sleeper players here, as well as why I chose the Drew Brees as my #1 Quarterback;

Quarterback
Drew Breese
Aaron Rodgers
Peyton Manning
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Matthew Stafford
Tom Brady
Phillip Rivers
Nick Foles
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Jay Cutler
Andy Dalton
Robert Griffin III
Colin Kaepernick
Tony Romo
Ben Roethlesberger
Alex Smith
Jake Locker
Ryan Tannehill

History has shown that players who have season like Peyton did last year tend to regress the following season. While I don't think Peyton is unlike any other quarterback, I see the Broncos focusing a bit more on running the football after the way they were handled in the Super Bowl. Also I think Drew Brees has more weapons around him this year than he has in any of the past 5 seasons.

Bust: Robert Griffin III: After watching the preseason I notice two things about the Redskins;1. They can not block anyone on passing downs. Alfred Morris still did decently this preseason but RG3 had no time in the pocket what so ever. With Gruden bringing in the offense he likes to run I expect this will be RG3 lowest rushing yards per game season. Because of all this I can't justify spending a pick on him which makes him my QB1, I'd rather wait on a better QB since RG3 is currently going in the 7th round as the 10th QB taken. I would gladly select; Russell Wilson (9th Round), Jay Cutler (9th Round) and Philip Rivers (10th Round) ahead of him.

Sleeper: Jake Locker: I currently have Jack Locker as my 19th best QB but I am really high on him this year if he can stay healthy. That is a big if since he has been injured every year in the league. Locker does a grab job of using his legs and will pick up some extra fantasy points on the ground. Last year until he was injured he was a top 10 QB, with the emergence of Justin Hunter (more on him later) and Kendall Wright this passing attack can become very good.

Breakout: Russell Wilson: Most people might not know this but Russell Wilson finished as a top 10 quarterback last season in most standard leagues. Yet, he is going outside the top 15 this year. With Percy Harvin healthy, and talented receivers in Jermaine Kearse and Doug Baldwin Russell can will enter that top 5 discussion this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment