Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Former Fantasy Stud Returns to Prominence: Fantasy RB Rankings

Outside of the predictably top 4 running backs I think the position as a whole gets a bit murky. Based on what I saw in the preseason and having a semi understand of the complexion that is Chip Kelly’s offense, I don’t see how LeSean McCoy doesn’t end up as the #1 running back this season. They brought in Sproles to give McCoy some relief in the passing game and running game but I think this is just Chip having a two headed monster which will open up running lanes even more. Here are my top 40 Running backs this season and below will be my Bust, Sleeper and Breakout players;
Running Back
LeSean McCoy
Jamaal Charles
Adrian Peterson
Matt Forte
DeMarco Murray
Eddie Lacy
Marshawn Lynch
Montee Ball
Chris Johnson
Alfred Morris
Andre Ellington
Arian Foster
Ben Tate
Ryan Matthews
Doug Martin
Shane Vereen
Reggie Bush
Giovani Bernard
Rashad Jennings
Zac Stacy
Knowshon Moreno
Ray Rice
Joique Bell
Toby Gerhart
Pierre Thomas
Darren Sproles
Frank Gore
Fred Jackson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Stephen Jackson
Shonn Greene
Trent Richardson
DeAngelo Williams
Jeremy Hill
LeGarrette Blount
Danny Woodhead
C.J. Spiller
Lamar Miller
Carlos Hyde
Terrence West

Busts: Giovani Bernard: I don’t think he is a bust as he is going to have a Trent Richardson like sophomore year. But based on his ADP I can’t justify selecting a guy that high when it is clear the Bengals want to use Jeremy Hill. Bernard has struggled this preseason and while you should never take to much on preseason statistics, Bernard doesn’t seem like he is looking to bounce his runs to the outside. He isn’t much of a grinder, I can see the Bengals getting him the same touches he had last year but I don’t think they increase his load with how well Hill performed.
Busts: C.J. Spiller: Spiller still managed 4.2 ypc last season, he still had over 200 touches and he still produced outside of touchdowns. Fred Jackson was still their best running back until his injury last season. They brought in Bryce Brown as an upgrade over Tashard Choice and I can see him getting more touches than the 39 Choice received last season. I think the Bills are down on Spiller because they are struggling to find a way to utilize his skills. There were rumors they were contemplating trading him this offseason and with it being a contract year that may still be a possibility.

Sleeper: Chris Johnson: He has looked great this preseason for a team dedicated to running the football. Last year he finished as a top 15 running back in most fantasy leagues but went largely unnoticed. Now with the Jets his ADP has him outside the top 15 and I just don’t see him finishing outside the top 10 with this team. I expect Geno Smith to involve Johnson in the passing game and with Ivory’s injury history I don’t think Johnson will lose to many touches to him. Expect a big year.
Breakout: Andre Ellington: Pretty sure every analyst this season has mentioned this guy as a potential big time player. I have tried to draft him in as many leagues as I possibly could because I expect a very big year from him. Bruce Arians said that Ellington might be the best route runner he has ever coached and they consider him an every down back. He has very little competition behind him and I can see 250+ touches for him this season. His potential is top 5 and that alone makes him worthy of a 3rd round pick.


Breakout: Ben Tate: People are really high on the rookie Terrance West but I am not. I think Ben Tate runs away with the starting job this year and players all 16 games. He has looked punishing when running this preseason and with a lack of quality receivers I expect to see him involved in the passing game as well. Tate will sneak into the top 15 and possibly the top 10 depending on how much the Browns decide to involve him in their passing attack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment