Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Night Game News

Indianapolis Colts at Denver Broncos:
Indianapolis Colts:
Quarterback: He finished with excellent fantasy numbers and proved once again he adds extra value with his goalline runs. While I don't foresee Luck having to throw it 53 times again I do think their lackluster running attack will mean this season will be heavily reliant on Luck's arm.

Running backs: The most productive running back was Ahmad Bradshaw. Touches wise it was 9 to 8 Richardson over Bradshaw but I think it'll begin growing in Bradshaw's favor he is just more dangerous in the passing game. I'd have both on my team but I am not starting either of them yet.

Wide Receiver: Reggie Wayne is back and needs to be owned in all leagues. He saw a team high 13 targets caught 9 for 98, Hilton was the clear #2 with 11 targets. Fleener saw more targets than Allen but Allen had converted more of his targets. Nicks only saw 5 targets but did have a touchdown catch. He may begin to see more as the season goes on but I am owning Wayne and Hilton first.

Denver Broncos:
Quarterback: Peyton showed why he is the best QB in the league in the first half, in the second was my concern about him being the best QB for fantasy this season. I think they'll get ahead of most teams but there is a clear emphasis that they want to run the ball more this season.

Running Backs: Montee Ball is the guy but the Colts aren't the best run defense in the league and Ball averaged 2.9 yards per carry. He also only had two catches out of the backfield which was Moreno's specialty. He did score a touchdown which salvaged his day but I would temper my expectations a bit on Ball but I am still keeping him where I had him ranked this preseason.

Wide Receiver: Thomas was first in targets, Sanders was 2nd and Thomas was 3rd. Exactly what we expected with Welker out. The biggest surprise to me was Cody Latimer not seeing a single target. For now he has potential but he won't do anything until late in the season or for dynasty owners it'll be next year.

New York Giants at Detroit Lions:
Quarterback: Eli Manning looked terrible, completely out of sink with his receivers and his offensive line gave him no protection. He isn't worth owning at all at this point and probably at all this season unless they somehow figure this offense out.


Running backs: Rashad Jennings had 4 times the touches as Andre Williams, he struggled running the ball but that is a very good run defense in Detroit but he was very active in the passing game as well. He is a good RB2 in PPR leagues and a flex guy in standards.

Wide Receivers: Larry Donnell led this team in targets and outside of last year the Giants tight ends have been good options in fantasy leagues. He is a good TE2 going forward, I knew Jernigan would be their best receiver today because it has been Eli's top target this preseason. Cruz is the only receiver worth owning but he is just a WR3 until further notice.

Detroit Lions: 
Quarterback: Jim Caldwell is known as a QB guru and there were some clear differences in Stafford's play. He didn't try to force it in to Johnson like last year, has upgraded weapons around him and is willing to dump it off when in trouble. He is going to be a top 5 quarterback this season.

Running Backs: Joique Bell had 16 touches to Bush's 15 touches, Bell more involved in the run game and Bush more involved in the passing game no surprises here. Bell I'd prefer in standard leagues and Bush I'd prefer in PPR Leagues that simple.

Wide Receiver: You never poke the beast and thats exactly what the Giants did. While Calvin Johnson was a lot quieter in the 2nd half they didn't need him like they did in the first. Golden Tate is a clear weapon for this team and should be owned in all leagues. They play all 3 tight ends on this team none are worth owning at this point in time until one separates or becomes a legitimate red zone target.

San Diego Chargers at Arizona Cardinals:
Quarterback: Philip Rivers had to go against a good secondary in Arizona in which his best receiver was matched up against one of the leagues best corners in Peterson. His numbers weren't impressive tonight I still think we will see the Rivers from last season but I need to see another game first.

Running back: Ryan Matthews is still the guy but he was having a very poor running night until he broke is 20 yard TD run. I was surprised by the lack of use of Donald Brown and I think that'll change if Matthews struggles with his ypc all season. I am also surprised with the lack of use of Danny Woodhead in the passing game. If he isn't being used in the passing attack he isn't worth owning in any format.

Wide Receiver: Malcom Floyd was his favorite receiving target for the night. Gates is still clearly head and shoulders ahead of Green when healthy, and I guess even with a tight hammy. For now Gates should be owned over Green in all leagues.I knew Allen would struggle with Peterson on him so I wouldn't worry fantasy owners if anything you might be able to get him for a bit cheaper right now.

Arizona Cardinals:
Quarterback: I think Palmer has looked a bit sloppy tonight (he did in the beginning of last year too). I still think he has QB2 upside but if he continues to struggle like he did tonight than I'd rather take a young QB with more upside i.e. Ryan Tannehill, Brian Hoyer.

Running backs: Tough to gage that situation tonight because I am not sure if they did running back by committee because of Ellington's injury status or because this is truly how they want to do things. Ellington is the only RB I want to own right now out of this backfield but until healthy he is just a flex play.

Wide Receiver: I called it before the season started that I think Michael Floyd takes over as this teams best receiver and it'll stay that way. He is a top 15 talent, shocking is the lack of targets for Fitzgerald, San Diego has a young secondary but no one that should scare Palmer away from throwing at him. John Brown saw a good amount of targets but he is a bench guy with high upside in dynasty leagues for now. None of the tight ends are worth owning yet in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment